Wednesday, December 16, 2015

The well encounter!

I got my Christmas package. It was SO funny when the zone leaders presented it to me. It was behind a curtain on the stage and Elder Fajardo went behind the curtain and acted like he was struggling. Then he finally came out with the box and when he placed it in front of me everyone went absolutely nuts and wanted to be my best friend and everything and I just laughed and picked it up and left. It was so awesome though. I was SO stoked. I´m trying to figure out how I´m going to make the fudge but I’m determined to find a way because I definitely love my fudge!

Yes, there will be a ward Christmas party in Zacapa and it will be this Saturday and I will be playing the piano and practicing all this week to prepare myself to do so. I also have to play the piano for a special musical number with Elder Reed this Thursday for the multizone conference with all the other zones on this side of the mission. Am I a little nervous? Nah.... Only ALOT!!! It´s alright.... I have been practicing and I´m feeling pretty good about it. 

The cooking arrangement is wonderful. It is definitely a blessing because it fills me up for the whole day and then she makes us dinner to take home and reheat and sometimes I can eat dinner and breakfast with all that she gives us so it is absolutely wonderful and we´re saving a lot more money doing so. 

I´m sorry that I wasn´t able to send pictures.... They´re working on our church house and the wifi is down temporarily for the time being... but as soon as it´s back the pictures will again be flowing. We´ll just have to hang tight for a little bit.

This week we have been working with the ward council to get members to accompany us on some of our visits so hopefully this coming week we will have lots of members to go on visits with us! This Sunday, the bishop called us like an hour before church started. We were getting ready and everything and my companion answered the phone.... They were talking about giving a talk and I was like oh great we´re going to have to talk again in Sacrament.... Then my companion hung up the phone and looked at me and said.... "Yo tengo que discursar en la reunion sacramental...." (I have to talk in sacrament meeting...) I just burst out laughing and said "solo usted o yo tambien??" (just you or me as well?) hahaha just him! It was super great because I think I have had to talk like every single week so it was nice to finally have a break.

Funniest/Awfullest thing that happened this week.... We were returning home from llano de piedras which is an aldea... It´s hard to explain. We were walking down the hill when we saw a lady that was carrying a big load and trying to keep her two kids in line on the busy street. She was carrying a big load so we crossed the street to offer her help. We took the bags she was carrying and then she only had the responsibility of her kids. As we were getting to her house we passed another lady that was trying to get water from the well.... I told her to give me two seconds to allow me to get this pregnant lady to her house and then I would be back to help her. We got the pregnant lady to her house and went back to help her. We started to help her get water and it was like one of those wells that you see in the movies where you let down the bucket with a pulley system and then pull it back up. We starting helping her and then the whole community started bringing their buckets for us to fill. We did service for a good 2 hours just pulling water out of the well.... wow my arms were DEAD by the end of the day. Anyway here is the awful part. During one of my turns of taking the water out, I was pulling the rope and accidentally hit my mission manual out of my shirt pocket and it went plummeting down to the bottom of the well... Yikes.... This had my copy of my passport, my certificate from President Monson saying I´m a missionary, my immunization record, 100 quetzales for emergency and my mission manuals in English and Spanish all gone. This well was like 75 feet deep too.... Yikes.... However... A couple days later we passed by there again and they had been able to salvage my certificate, 100 quetzales, and my passport.... I was happy with it because I can replace the rest. It was crazy but I still felt good because we were able to provide water for a whole community.

 I often read and am able to apply a lot of things that I see here in Guatemala to things I read in the Book of Mormon. One scripture that helped me this week though I found in Doctrine and Covenants section 63:47.... I liked it a lot. It´s super short and sweet but direct and powerful and brought comfort knowing that we are enduring and being faithful. We have been learning a lot about that. Our theme for this Christmas is "Ha nacido un Salvador" which I think is translated "A Savior has been born" or something to that affect. It has really made me think about how significant that is. Why our Savior was born. He was born to save us and it was in love that he gave his life for us as well.

I hope all is going well and that you guys are all well and healthy. I hope you´re staying busy and having a great time. 

Love,
Elder Lott

No comments:

Post a Comment